|About Thomas K. Coan
• Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Maine, B.A., 1980
• Northwestern School of Law at Lewis and Clark College, Portland, OR, J.D., 1988
• 1989 State of Oregon
• 1990 U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
• 1994 Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
• 1994 United States Supreme Court
• Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
• National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers – Life Member
• NORML Legal Committee – Life member
• Federal Bar Association
• Multnomah Bar Association
Peer Review Ratings, Honors & Awards
• AV Preeminent Attorney Rating - Martindale-Hubbell
• Oregon Super Lawyers – Thomson Reuters
• Top Attorneys in Oregon – Portland Monthly
• National Trial Lawyers – Top 100 Lawyers
Tom has been involved in criminal defense work for almost 30 years, starting as an investigator at the local public defenders office in 1984. Inspired by a book on Clarence Darrow given to him by flamboyant and high-rolling Chicago defense lawyer Julius Lucius "Lucky" Echeles, and the dedicated attorneys at the public defenders office, Tom decided to go to the night law school at Lewis & Clark College while continuing his work as an investigator.
For the first two years after finishing law school, Tom tried another area of law, working at LaBarre & Associates, a small plaintiffs law firm that represented clients in civil securities fraud cases and other business litigation matters. But he was drawn back to being his own boss, so he started his own office representing plaintiffs in investment fraud cases, criminal defendants and the infrequent civil rights client. Within a few years though, Tom began to limit his practice to criminal defense, and now, with very few exceptions, Tom only represents people accused of crimes so that he can stay on top of all the developments in criminal law.
Tom continues practice his craft as a sole-practitioner dedicated to providing the highest quality criminal defense services. He does this by giving each case and client the time and attention needed to handle the case properly and end up with the best possible result. This is the goal with every case to get the client the best result possible. Tom does that by working closely with the client, and by utilizing a network of investigators, paralegals and other professionals, to work the case into the best possible position for a favorable resolution. Tom has the experience, the dedication and the desire. If you need to hire a criminal defense lawyer, contact Tom for a consultation.